In general the role of a Mental Health First Aider in the workplace is to be a point of contact for employees who are experiencing a mental health issue or emotional distress. This interaction could range from having an initial conversation through to supporting the person to get appropriate help as well as in a crisis, Mental Health First Aiders are valuable in providing early intervention help for someone who may be developing a mental health issue.
Mental Health First Aiders are not trained as therapists, councillors or psychologists but can offer initial support through non judgemental listening and guidance.
Mental Health First Aiders have:
An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix
Mental Health First Aid England (MHFA) 2 day adult course is internationally recognised training, designed to teach people how to spot the signs and Symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis.
Course Aims and Objectives
To preserve life where a person may be at risk of harming themselves and others.
Give a deeper understanding of the issues that impact on and relate to people’s mental health.
Teach practical skills that can be used everyday, including being able to spot the signs and symptoms of mental health issues and feel confident guiding people towards support.
Reduce stigma around mental health.
Promote early intervention which enables recovery.
Boost knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues.
To improve own resiliance, health and wellbeing.
The 2 day course well cover the below:
To become a Mental Health First Aider you must complete the 2 day MHFA course.
This comprehensive awareness skills course includes a mixture of presentations, discussions and group activities. There are four sessions across two days.
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression
- Risk factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgmental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and CBT
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA
Upcoming Course Dates
For all upcoming courses, please contact us on 020 3637 5161
2 days recommended if you want to become a Mental Health First Aider, but can make the course dispose and run over half or one day
Essex / London
For groups we can deliver at your chosen location (UK wide)