The CITB Construction Skills SSSTS Course is designed for team leaders, foremen, gangers, first line managers and supervisors with supervisory responsibilities and a need to understand their legal duties within the construction industry. Through an understanding of legal responsibilities supervisors can better contribute to the instruction, supervision and monitoring of safety on site. The SSSTS course is an ideal foundation for attaining a basic understanding of health & safety duties and responsibilities for junior management in construction work. This course is endorsed by the United Kingdom Contractors Group (UKCG) as the standard training for all supervisors working on UKCG sites.
What is covered on this course?
- An introduction to health and safety, welfare and environmental issues for supervisors requiring an understanding of the legal responsibilities relevant to their work in safely managing a construction site.
- An understanding of the occupational health problems within the construction industry and what is expected of site supervisors.
- An understanding of how health and safety law is structured – Identifying how their supervisory role links in with the site manager’s role in controlling site safety
- How to carry out risk assessments and understanding the need for method statements
- A basic understanding of fire prevention & control, control of hazardous substances, construction design management regulations (CDM), working at height, personal protective equipment (PPE), manual handling, accidents and first aid.
- Carrying out site inductions, toolbox talks and method statement briefings
- Understanding and appreciating the need for proactive and reactive monitoring.
Candidates will be assessed using a multiple choice question format at the end of the course.
On successfully completing the course, you will be awarded the CITB SSSTS certificate – valid for five years.
This qualification must be renewed within the 5 years by attending an SSSTS Refresher course.
Click here for our refresher course information.
Where is this course held?
These courses will be held in London or Essex and will be within walking distance of the train station. We are also able to deliver this course around the country at your premises for groups of 6 or more people. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
- This course starts at 9:30am each day. Please arrive at least 15 mins early.
- This course will finish at 4:30pm each day so please ensure you have made arrangements to stay to this time before you are booked on the course.
- At the start of the course you will be required to show one form of ID (Passport or Driving Licence).
Funding for CITB Levy Payers
CITB Levy payers can receive a grant for this training course. Find out more at:
Upcoming Course Dates
For all upcoming courses, please contact us on 020 3637 5161
£250 +vat (Group discounts available)
Chelmsford, Essex / Kings Cross, London
For groups we can deliver at your chosen location (UK wide)