This five-day course provides project managers, site managers and supervisors, business proprietors and client-based personnel with the knowledge and skills to enable them to ensure healthy and safe conditions for construction site employees. It is for anyone who takes responsibility for overseeing construction staff, such as: Construction directors, Construction site managers, Site agents, Project directors, Quantity surveyors. Possession of this qualification is listed in the Approved Code of Practice for the Construction (Design and Management) (CDM) Regulations as a demonstration of competence in the role of site manager.
What is covered on this course?
- Introduction to health and safety law, duties, responsibilities, enforcement and sanctions
- Overviews/explanations of CDM Regulations and other relevant construction regulations
- Accidents – costs, causes, investigation, prevention and reporting systems
- Risk assessment and risk control
- Safety management systems, policies, plans, performance and measuring
- Management of contractors
- Development of ’safe systems of work’ and permit systems
- Effective communications on site
- Behavioural science including awareness of human error
- Motivating good safety behaviour
- Construction company’s duties and responsibilities
- Responsibilities of Managers, Supervisors and Operatives
- Planning for health and safety management on a project, including work at height, confined spaces, excavations, electricity, scaffolding and demolition
Assessments will take place throughout the course, and there will be some assignments to complete.
The course price includes CITB publication ‘Construction Site Safety (GE 700/16)’ and registration/certification.
On successfully completing the course, you will be awarded the CITB SMSTS certificate – valid for five years.
This qualification must be renewed within the 5 years by attending an SMSTS Refresher course.
Click here for our refresher course information.
Where is this course held?
These courses will be held in London or Essex and will be within walking distance of the train station. We are also able to deliver this course around the country at your premises for groups of 6 or more people. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
- This course starts at 9:30am each day. Please arrive at least 15 mins early.
- This course will finish at 4:30pm each day so please ensure you have made arrangements to stay to this time before you are booked on the course.
- At the start of the course you will be required to show one form of ID (Passport or Driving Licence).
Funding for CITB Levy Payers
CITB Levy payers can receive a grant for this training course. Find out more at:
Upcoming Course Dates
For all upcoming courses, please contact us on 020 3637 5161
£450 +vat (Group discounts available)
Chelmsford, Essex / Kings Cross, London
For groups we can deliver at your chosen location (UK wide)